Lemon Poppy Seed Cheesecake Bites | Healthy Snacks

I have to say I am pretty impressed with myself for this weeks recipe, I hope it will be a favourite of yours too.




Protein balls are all the craze these days, so I thought I would try my own spin on them.  I really enjoy the fact that you can get your daily protein hit in such a small and delicious​ way. I have never been a fan of protein powder so I wanted to find an alternative. I also wanted to steer away from dates just to change things up. The result is mouth watering! Think creamy, zesty lemon poppy seed cheesecake, but good for you! One bite and you will find them irresistible. However when it came to measuring the amount of protein in them it turns out there is only 2g of protein per ball (not that you will be able to stop at 1). That is the nature of science I guess you don't always get the result you hoped for. These cheesecake bites are still a great low kilojoule snack that will satisfy sweet craving when a piece of fruit just won't do it. It is a healthier alternative to having a biscuit with your morning cup of tea and has the added benefits of calcium to promote strong bones.

You can make a lot of delicious variations to this recipe. You could roll the protein balls in coconut or LSA, add different dried fruit or make them vanilla flavoured.The possibilities are endless. To add some sweetness I used dried peaches, feel free to leave these out if dried fruit isn't your thing. If you really wanted to make them higher in protein you could substitute protein powder in place of the skim milk powder. 

I also tested out freezing these little beauties they are equally delicious frozen. 

Lemon Poppy Seed Cheesecake Bites
Makes 28 protein balls
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Nutritional information (for 1 ball): Energy 197 kj (47 cal) | Protein 2g | Fat 2g | 
Sat fat 0.5g | Carbs 4g | Sugar 3g 

Ingredients

1/2 cup oats, powdered (I used a magic bullet)
2/3 cup almond meal
250g reduced fat ricotta cheese
2 tbsp honey
1/2 cup dried peaches, chopped into small pieces
1/4 cup skim milk powder
2 lemons, juice and zest (you can alter this to your taste)
1/3 cup poppy seeds

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
2. Roll a teaspoon of the mixture into a ball and cover in poppy seeds.
3. Refrigerate the protein balls until they become more firm.
4. Enjoy!

If you make these little balls of deliciousness I would love to see a picture. If you have any suggestions for variations of these protein balls send me a message or leave them in the comments so everyone can give them a go.

Have a healthy weekend,
Bridge


Find Nutrition Insight on social media:

Share this with your friends using the buttons below!


Comments

Popular Posts